The department of Botany boasts of full-fledged research department with highly efficient staff members with all of them possessing doctoral degrees at various levels of specialization starting from Algology, Mycology, Environmental biology, Anatomy and pharmacognosy.
With the objective of providing higher education in Botany the Undergraduate programme B.Sc Botany with both English(1966) and Tamil (1969) as medium of instruction was started. In 2001 the UG programme was changed from botany to plant biology and plant biotechnology. With untiring efforts of the faculty members, Post Graduate programme (1993) and research Programmes M. Phil. (1996) and Ph.D. (2006) were started and so far 35 students were awarded Ph.D degrees, and the alumni are serving in various educational institutions and some even in the capacity of heads of department.
To promote quality education in Botany, to increase employability of the undergraduates, to open new avenues for post graduate students and to provide platform for the research scholars with broader avenues. Collaboration with national and international organizations for better performance. To create provisions for e learning.
To help the average and below average students, to motivate the brighter students to aim higher, and to help them achieve their goals. To help the socially challenged students and to increase their employability skills.
On par with the institutional vision and mission, B.Sc and M.Sc Programme aims at imparting knowledge and skills to the students enabling them to
- Pursue higher education, enrich research habits and procure job opportunities through strong and ample learning of the core and related subjects with adequate exposure to digital literacy and training to communicate their original ideas effectively.
- Probe and utilize appropriate resources and tools to be life – long learners,
- Look in to nature for flora, analysis of the impact of pollution on plants.
- To study the interaction between plants, animals and insects.
- Improve leadership qualities in creating successful and self-confident citizens with rational thinking and scientific temper.