The syllabus is included Yoga, Gymnastics, Aerobics and indigenous sports and rhythmic activities. The course has activities in all sports and games that reflect the cultural heritage of Tamilnadu state. This ensures continuity of recognition of time honoured Asian physical activities such as Silambam, Karate and Judo. There are nearly 15 teams like Volleyball, Basket Ball, Handball, Football, Ballbadminton, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Hockey, Table Tennis, Badminton, Tennis, Athletics, Judo, Silambam are participating in the intercollegiate, district, state, university, national and international level tournaments. The department enjoys an excellent record of Sporting, Trophies and Victories and has made its mark among the educational institutions of the state.
The department of physical education has been offering B.Sc. Physical Education, Health Education and Sports, from the year 1994 onwards. This course enables women student from economically weaker section to excel in sports and games and contribute to the growth of sports in the state and country. So for 1000 students were graduated with B.Sc. Physical Education. The presence of this course allows special attention to women in the field of sports and games.
The department’s vision is to render Physical Education programme for the wholesome development of soft and hard skills of the individuals in order to survive in the present competitive world and preparing youth for nation building.
All students should have a quality Physical Education program and students can improve their skills, fitness and knowledge.The department also has the unique honour of securing prizes in the intercollegiate sports and games. Among government colleges, QMC stands first. The students are encouraged to participate in National and International Conferences and Seminars.
Graduate Attributes for B.Sc. Physical Education, Health Education & Sports Programme:
- Disciplinary knowledge and skills: Ability to demonstrate skills and techniques of all sports and games. Aanalyze the application of methods in teaching and formulate lesson plan. Understand the role of psychology in sports; implement to overcome the emotional traits. Efficiency to use modern equipment and techniques to perform in almost all the fields of sports and games.
- Skilled communicator: Competence to acquire sophisticated knowledge and skills through intensive coaching and training in all areas of sports both in writing and orally communicating the learnt concepts, and also the ability of communicating officiating signals to present them in a simple language.
- Critical thinker and problem solver: Analyse the effects of exercise on various systems and apply the right method of training, design a training schedule for specific sports. Apply the acquired knowledge of Test, Measurement and Evaluation to design own test batteries to measure physical fitness, motor fitness and specific sports skill caliber, safety measures, and imply to prevent from injuries.
- Sense of inquiry: Proficient to ask pertinent/appropriate questions relating to the methods and techniques and problems in the field of sports and games
- Team player/worker: Accomplished to work efficiently in diversified teams in various sports and games to achieve State, National and International level competitions and tournaments
- Skilled project manager: Skillful to identify the right person to the right sports. Develop skills and new techniques and suggest applications at the time of competitions
- Digitally Efficient: Become digitally fit and gain expertise to use computers for basic computations
- Ethical awareness / reasoning: Ability to think and analyze rationally with modern and scientific training and identify ethical issues related to sports, avoid unethical practice such as doping and alcoholism and adopting unbiased and truthful actions in all sports activities.
- National and international perspective: The graduates should be able to develop and implement the skills and techniques acquired to achieve State, National and International level perspective for their career in the chosen field of the sports activities. Compulsory participation in sports and games and conferences, Seminars, workshops, webinars pave a way for their future prospects.
- Lifelong learners: Competent to carry personal development and for improving knowledge/skill development in all areas of sports and games. Continuous sports activities and practices in every course of time strengthen the confidence level in a student.