Commerce Department was started in the year 1972-73 with 50 students and one faculty member , Mrs.G.Prasanna Kumari. In the year 1983-84, B.Com degree was introduced in the Evening college with a strength of 50 students.
After receiving Autonomous status In the year 1987-88, the Department was upgraded as a Post Graduate Department in 1994-95 with the introduction of M.Com degree with a sanctioned strength of 20 students. The Government of Tamil Nadu introduced B.Com (Shift II) in the year 2007-08 with two batches consisting of 60 students in each batch.
REVITALISING COMMERCE EDUCATION TO KEEP IN PACE WITH THE CHANGING BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT.
The Department of Commerce aims to introduce SKILL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS to students :
- To provide knowledge on various government schemes and tax benefits for entrepreneurs to pursue self employment.
- To improve communication and research skills
- To develop leadership skills, marketing skills, decision making and problem solving skills.
The ACADEMIC ORIENTED PROGRAMS are designed:
- To familiarize the students with traditional as well as modern areas in the discipline of Commerce
- To offer programs to impart general understanding of business to prepare the students to pursue professional courses
- To provide knowledge in Banking, Financial Analysis, Corporate Accounting, Management Accounting, Cost Accounting, Marketing and Taxation in order to help the students to become entrepreneurs/managers/consultants/undertake research studies.
JOB ORIENTED PROGRAMS offered :
- Computer Accounting courses like Tally Package, ERP Solutions, SPSS package in collaboration with outside organizations.
- Conducting ED training programs in collaboration with Women Entrepreneurs Associations and EDII,TamilNadu.
The Program outcome of Commerce is to enlighten the students knowledge to a higher level by an extensive curriculum and help them to acquire expertise in the utilization of digital tools available by way of PPT presentations, seminars and group discussions. Communication skills are developed through frequent question answer sessions and seminars. The program offers abundant opportunities for students to pursue systematic learning, enhance communication skills, undergo thorough training in analyzing accounting problems, motivation to work in teams, become digitally efficient, embrace moral values and help them to become successful businessmen, entrepreneurs, managers, consultants etc.