In the year 1974, the Department of Company Affairs has made amendment in the Indian Companies Act 1956, regarding the introduction of the degree course named Corporate Secretaryship. This came into effect in 1975 with an objective to avoid and to prevent the lacking & non-compliance of the Companies Act by the Directors. In the light of developments an additional curriculum relating to the field of commerce was introduced as a new program in 1981 and hence the Department of Corporate Secretaryship has emerged as an independent discipline.
Initially the program has named B.A. (Corporate Secretaryship) as nomenclature to this course. Since the curriculum of B.A. (Corporate Secretaryship) has more similarity with the subject of commerce, efforts were made to link this course with B.Com. Stream. University of Madras renamed this course as B.Com. Corporate Secretaryship [B.Com.(CS)]. B.Com. with specialization in Corporate Secretaryship course started in the year 2005 is designed to bridge the gap between conceptual learning and practical application to inculcate professional corporate expertise.
The Department of B.Com. Corporate Secretaryship was established in the year 2012-13 in our Queen Mary’s College with the strength of 70 students. It is a full-time regular undergraduate degree program of three years duration consisting of six semesters. In the initial stage, the course had nearly 70 students as its strength. Gradually, as years passed by, the strength was raised to 77 in each class and now the total Department strength is 212 and three well qualified teaching staff.
- To create young corporate leaders with global outlook in consonance with liberalized Economic Scenario.
- To develop the personality and communication skill of the students and to make them excel in corporate knowledge and fulfill the expectations of the corporate sector.
- To explore and develop the entrepreneurial and leadership potential of the students.
- To provide a platform for wider institution – industry interaction.
- To motivate and nurture co-operation, tolerance and mutual respect in our nation of diversity.
After the completion of three years Bachelor in Commerce - Corporate Secretaryship (B.Com.(CS)) program:
- Disciplinary Knowledge and Skills: To acquire strong foundation in the concepts required for Commerce Corporate-secretaryship graduate and it will demonstrate the ability to perform and exhibit superior performance.
- Skilled Communicator: To inculcate effective communication skills, analytical and critical thinking abilities, leadership qualities, decision making, problem solving in day-to-day business affairs, entrepreneurial skills for a successful career in any industry and R&D organisations.
- Critical Thinker and Problem Solver: To apply analytical and critical thinking abilities for problem solving and information-based decision making.
- Sense of inquiry: to be capable of understanding, involving in learning implies possessing Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes that permit the students to seek resolutions to questions and issues while they construct new knowledge.
- Team Player / Worker: To enable the concept, “no one is going to work in isolation; organization expects more of teamwork and outcomes from the team”. Hence, graduates should be able to prepare themselves to work in a group and contribute towards the success.
- Skilled Project Manager: To acquire the skills to lead or guide is required from any successful consultant, project manager, leader and graduates who aspire to become great leader should focus on this skill.
- Digitally Efficient: To acquire a strong base in digital efficiency to run a business that embraces technology and uses it to constantly adapt and evolve with an ever-changing marketplace and create new business models quickly.
- Ethical Awareness / Reasoning: To be able to conform corporate affairs with respect to economic, societal, environmental, legal and ethical issues.
- National and International Presentations: To be able to acquire knowledge and experience to prepare research articles and present in national and international events.
- Lifelong Learning: To enable the students possess professional skills for employment and lifelong learning in Commerce Corporate Secretaryship.