The Department of Social Science emerged in the year 1963 and had been rechristened as the Department of Sociology in the year 1978. M.A. Sociology had its inception in the year 1993. The Department of Sociology is concentrating on three major areas namely Academic, Research and Extension activities. The Department is upgraded in to Research Department in the year 2012.
The Department of Sociology aspires to develop and provide curriculum that is both rigorous and relevant to a variety of settings and issues to attract best students so that our students would have a transformative impact on society by leading change in their communities through knowledge of social forces and a humanistic world view.
To cultivate multiple ways of understanding society in order to create purposeful futures for our students in an ever-evolving employment market by application of sociological knowledge gained through education, community engagement and experiential learning; Developing transferable skills such as Research, Effective communication, Inclusivity and Leadership.
UG Programme in Sociology would create high level knowledge in all the concepts of Sociology and Social facts. It would enable the students to participate in various interactive forums to stress their sociological perspectives on social issues.
- The students would be molded with confidence to present their views in Seminars and handle the Digital platforms.
- The students would be able to communicate their understandings on Social Theories
- and analyse the issues critically to find solution for the Social Problems.
- The students can develop skills to undertake Research
- either individually or along with the team as a team leader.
- It would enable the students to identify their skills and use those skills for the welfare of the society in terms of planning and implementing the Minor and Major research projects
- with digital efficiency.
- The UG Programme would enable the students to uphold high values of ethical standards ,
- develop keen interest to suggest measures for National and International issues
- to get recognition for their growth and development throughout their life